Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Prodigal Summer

Here is a story:

Yesterday, a customer and I were making small talk about books. I told her I was reading Prodigal Summer. She slammed her hand down on the counter and stated, "I swear to God, that is my favorite novel ever." The customer left me a two dollar tip on double tall Americano ($2.05).

This morning, I finished Prodigal Summer. I thought to myself, "This lovely book makes some good arguments for growing and eating organic. I will do that."

This afternoon, I went grocery shopping. I opted for organic onions, carrots, and milk. My grocery bill came to $38.51. If I bought non-organic, it would have cost something like $36.45. I paid in cash. Two of those dollars came from the Kingsolver loving customer.

In conclusion, reading Prodigal Summer helped me save the earth a little, my body a little, and I got someone else to pay for a little of my bill.




This was more interesting in my head.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

So the moral of the story is: always find something to talk about that the customer absolutely loves so that you can pay for groceries with their big tips.

Marc in the City said...

I just looked over and noticed that I have this, and THE POISONWOOD BIBLE in a special box-set on my bookshelf. Weird. Maybe I'll check it out.

Lynn said...

just to burst your feel-good bubble, it takes several thousand of gallons of jet fuel to fly an organic banana from honduras to the u.s., which is more than three times the amount of fuel you use in your car in an entire year.

KJW said...

Hey. I didn't buy any bananas, AND I looked at the kiwis and said, "You are delicious, kiwi, but you come from too far away."

And anyway, all that fuel carries a LOT of bananas. So, it'd only be a small portion of my scooter gas tank.

Lynn said...

You are so green, KJW!