Sunday, May 25, 2008

Ski to Sea - in the moment

Our cross-country skier should be done. Our downhill snowboarder is probably hiking up her second hill and will be soaring down momentarily. Our runner is poised to begin her 8, downhill miles, and our road biker is probably hanging out on a lawn chair thinking about Ludacris. She still has some time to kill.

Our canoeists have arrived at their canoeing spot (my enormous car fit a boat on top, bike in the back seat, and three racers on the bench seat) and heard the good news - the event is on! A fast-flowing Nooksack River won't stop us from racing, oh no. Our mountain biker has been dropped off at her location, and has lots and lots and lots of time to think about how we might be the only book club ever to double as a Ski to Sea team.

I am in my shorts and a sports bra, wondering where I can find some sunblock in this hizzouse. Soon, I will call my ride and say, "Ride! Let's go to Zuanich Park where I can prepare and lock up my kayak! And don't pronounce it 'Zuan-ick', because my roommates will make fun of you!" And then I will get ready to paddle, ring the bell of glory, and woot, woot, woot.

No comments: