Saturday, June 28, 2008

How I am best friends with J.D. Salinger

Me --->
Writing partner Amy, from this past week's teacher camp --->
Amy's 14-year-old son, Ben --->
Ben's best friend from summer camp, Avery --->
Avery's grandfather, J.D. Salinger

Amy and I were discussing "mentor texts" - I dreamed about reading a short story and observing comma use, by the way - when we started mentioning the style of Mr. Jerome David Salinger.

Then Amy laughed and told me, "Last week, I gave my son Catcher in the Rye to read while he was at camp. He said, 'Hey! Avery's grandpa wrote this!' and now I feel like Avery's family is going to think I'm a suck up."

Anyway, here a little of the Salinger Style:

Teddy bears who look down their thoroughly unenlightened noses at this splendid planet where (please don't shut me up) Kilroy, Christ, and Shakespeare all stopped - before we join these others, I privately say to you, old friend (unto you, really, I'm afraid), please accept from me this unpretentious bouquet of very early-blooming parentheses: (((()))).
-Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters; and Seymour, An Introduction

No comments: