I rule at spelling. I am the ultimate spelling champion. It's a gift I value, and as a language arts teacher, it will come in handy.
But I will not be an uptight spelling monster. Here, Time magazine makes the argument I have been discussing all year in my future-teacher classes.
Yes, I'll get over you're misspellings.
Hahaha! That was a joke! I hate "your" and "you're" mix-ups. Those get me.
But the rest of the errors? Come on. We have more important issues to deal with. Like sunken discs. And sentence fragments.
Another joke. I rule at spelling AND humor.
3 comments:
Yes, I just read the article and I am all for it. I don't misspell things, I'm just using a variation of the word.
I hate spelling errors. I know they happen to everyone, but they are annoying!
Great article! I try to be very careful to use correct, conventional spelling in my own writing but I love LOVE the idea proposed in the TIME article.
There are certain aspects of post-modern thought that i don't agree with, but the new-wave approach to language is not only promising, but I believe it is vital.
English language has always been a reflection of the controlling minority, aka, white males. In our own country, dialects vary wildly enough to incur their own unique pronunciations.
My linguistics professor used to work for Mirriam-Webster, who reviews what words should and shouldn't be in the dictionary. She said the vast majority of them are elderly Caucasian men and the spellings and pronunciations they endorse are reflective of mid-century, upper-middle-class language. Most English speakers do not fit this demographic.
The English language is a living thing and it is in a constant (though often belated) state of adjustment. It's the reason we don't use the letter "f" to make the "s" sound any more and don't say "thou" and "shalt" and all the other King James terms that are now more of an impediment to understanding than they are avenues.
There is a place for conventional spelling and pronunciation, but it should not be a universal enforcement. Way to go TIME!
Post a Comment