Saturday, January 17, 2009

A beautiful moment for me and for Trondheim

I boinged the bell. THE BELL.

The 6 American and 1 Dutch visiting student-teachers got a private tour of Nidaros Cathedral on Thursday. This place is gorgeous, and it's over 900 years old. Our tour guide, a professor in the education program here, knows the ins and outs of the cathedral, and she is a wonderful human being. That's why, after trekking up an uncomfortably tight stairwell to the bell tower, she turned to me (the first in line behind her) and said, "Would you like to boing the bell?"

Oh my God.

"Really?"

"Yes! Climb up this ladder." So I did. The ladder was rickety and it's possible the beams I walked across weren't totally secure, but I felt fine. I felt GREAT. I was going to boing the bell in the bell tower.

Swing once - miss. (I was trying to be gentle to our ear drums.)
Swing twice - miss. (Again, I cared so deeply about our hearing.)
Swing thrice - BOING! YEAH, BELL! YEAH!

Watch it on video!

When I climbed down from the rickety ladder - lower in elevation but high on the bell-ringing thrill - our tour guide looked at me and said, "You're like a little goat, aren't you?" (Because of all the climbing!) I laughed until I coughed up phlegm.

I love Saint Olav, bells, and my cathedral excitement that inspired me be first in line of the tour.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Nice job! Did it remind you of when you boinged the bell at Ski to Sea? You are quite known for your bell boinging in fact...

Lynn said...

seriously. you are a bell ringing expert.

saraike3 said...

twss, twsS, twSS, tWSS, TWSS!!!!

I'm sorry i didn't catch your eye contact on organ portion of the tour.

i will definitely be attentive the next time it pops up (twss =)