Sunday, January 4, 2009

Foreigners

Last night, I met a bunch of friendly foreigners. (Yes, I am a foreigner, too). They all spoke English. Every single one of them. Even before they knew I was American, they'd introduce themselves to me in English with their German, French, Pakistani, Spanish, or cadaver* accent.

Even foreign couples speak English to each other! Like, if a Russian girl is dating a French guy, they probably speak English to each other. All this English language makes me feel fortunate... and guilty for not being fluent in anything else. I did show off my German counting skills, though. I am brilliant when it comes to counting to twenty in German. Eins, zwei, drei, vier...

I was talking to a German guy about it and he said, "But we hear a lot in English, like music and movies. I can't imagine if everything I heard was in my language. Can you?"

"Yes," I answered, "because just about everything I hear is in English. Every song, pretty much every movie, every TV show...." (I finished this quote just so I could include the links.)

And surprisingly, he was a little surprised.

That English. What a language.

*If you haven't figured out what "cadaver" means because you have been living on the former-planet Pluto or something, one uses "cadaver" or "cadav" to mean "whatever" or "whatev", respectively. This word is all the rage with me and about two of my friends.

No comments: