Monday, January 19, 2009

Schooling you

I came to Norway for a reason, and that reason was NOT to learn how the bread slicer works, how to walk on ice, or how to break dance in a circle of happy Italians. Those are just the fringe benefits. The real reason I am visiting Norway is to teach - to learn to teach, if you want to get specific. So it's time I tell you about the education.

Schools here are different and wonderful. I am observing/teaching at Heimdal Upper Secondary School in the outskirts of Trondheim. The students tell me the neighborhood is "dodgy", but I am skeptical. A little ski jump gym (I'll get pictures), enormous indoor garden, and music practice rooms are just a few of this 750-student school's facilities.

And the students - oh my God, so precious. For the most part, a group of 22-30 kids stays together all day while teachers move from classroom to classroom. This means that they know each other well, and are therefore more comfortable being hilarious and adorable. And I have two students named Tor. Tor! That is so Norwegian I could burst into a puff of snow!

I'm teaching one class of 16 and 17-year-olds and another class of 18 and 19-year-olds. From what I've seen so far, they are more mature, independent, and interested in learning than American kids their age, but I haven't spent tons of time in an American high school... besides, you know, when I was a high schooler. (Doesn't count.)

And get this: since both classes are focused on English language and culture (of all English speaking communities, but mostly Britain and the U.S.), I get to talk about Barack Obama! And grocery stores! And baseball! Plus, I have awesome Cooperating Teachers who plan interesting lessons and trust me implementing my own ideas.

In sum, LIFE IS SO EXCITING.

1 comment:

Nicole Kristine said...

I would like to know if you have burst into a puff of snow. Please send me a letter.