Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spreading the Bechdel Word

Lots of movies are sexist.

The first person to clearly point that out to me: my old movie professor, Doug Something. (Learn about the male gaze!)

The second person to clearly point that out to me: my roommate, Baumity Baum Baum. She told me about the Bechdel Test, and now I am going to tell YOU about the Bechdel Test.

For a movie to pass the Bechdel Test, it has to have these 3 things:
1. Two female characters
2. Two female characters who talk to each other
3. Two female characters who talk to each about something other than men.

That shouldn't be so hard, right? Tell that to the stinking directors, producers, and writers!

Most of my favorite movies pass it, namely The Sound of Music, Sister Act, A League of Their Own, and I thiiiiink Moulin Rouge.

However, I love plenty of movies that sure as HECK don't pass it, including Star Wars, Up, Dogma, 40-Year-Old Virgin, Forrest Gump, Armageddon, When Harry Met Sally, and a billion more.

But I get it. Who wants to hear women talk about politics, puppies, money, or hot air balloons? It's unnatural. It shouldn't happen. Get out of here, dynamic female characters!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Kelly, I just learned so much from your blog. Thank you.