Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sugar water and songs

Anna's Hummingbirds are obsessed with my sugar water. It's nothing special - 1 part sug, 4 parts water - but they freaking adore it. They won't leave my feeder, not even when Abe is lurking nearby. (Do they know Abe is useless?) If birds used Yelp, my backyard would have 40+ reviews averaging 5 stars.

It's fortunate they love my sugar water, too, because the hummingbirds' presence (and then a little research of my own) confirmed that I am not a nutter. See, sometimes at work, I hear a "chippy ch-ch tsschhh pch". I could tell immediately it was a bird, but then I started connecting with the hummingbirds perched in the trees. "But hummingbirds don't make noises like that!" I thought. "They're just supposed to float around and look dainty!"


Nope. They make noises. They "chippy ch-ch tssschhhh pch" the crap out of my backyard. Also, they're sassy. I even watched two hummingbirds fight. It was like West Side Story.

What else can I tempt to my deck so that I can smile at nature? What would it take to get a baby elephant? I will think about this for all of 2011, minus yesterday.

No comments: