Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It's not like "troll" - Norwegian for "troll" - wouldn't survive forever. Um, Fremont?

Every week, I read the Norwegian News in English. The newspaper doesn't have that "in English" attachment, but my Google Reader title does, so it must be pretty official. That makes me feel good. I won't have to be creative in Norway.

One of today's headlines was "Norwegian language under assault." Apparently, English rocks the house sooooo hard that dumpy little Norske can't survive. Well, sorrrrry if the silent "gh" in "right" is so freaking cool, and is it our fault that rappers have convinced Norwegians to use "cash" instead of "kontant"? No. It is the INHERENT AWESOMENESS OF ENGLISH's fault.

That being said, I agree that other languages should be preserved. Once people find out that I have already learned "Hi" in Norwegian - "Hi" - speakers worldwide will flock toward the language. I am a one woman movement.

Ja! Fjord! Geitost!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I have some second cousins in Norway that you should visit for me.

Unknown said...

My great-grandpa was Norwegian.