I practically saved Seattle Public Schools today.
It started when Grande Decaf Nonfat Mocha With Whip Cream Guy came into the coffee shop. He mentioned to my coworker that he used to teach in a one stop sign town. This got to the topic of my future teaching career. He asked if I was planning to stay and teach in Seattle. I said no. He asked why.
"I'll have tens of thousands of dollars in student loans, and I wouldn't be able to pay them off quickly in Seattle. I mean, other places I'm considering also have high costs of living, but at least they'd be an adventure. I love the school I'm student teaching in, but it's not worth the price to stay," I answered. Except more eloquently.
"Interesting..." he replied.
Why was Grande Decaf Nonfat Mocha with Whip Cream Guy so interested in my decision not to teach in Seattle?
"...I'm a member of the Seattle School Board, actually."
That's why.
"We've been discussing the reasons so many first year teachers aren't choosing to work in Seattle and what we can do to recruit them. What are your thoughts on city subsidized teacher housing?"
Thus began the productive dialogue between School Board Guy and Adorable Future Teacher.
Holla' fo' my part-time job.
2 comments:
That's actually really cool that that happened and you got to add your two cents.
holy crap. i always knew you were a super hero in disguise. i love the idea of subsidized housing, i might stay in seattle if that happened!
Post a Comment