Monday, January 5, 2009

Juicy gossip

Magpies hop around all over Scandinavia. They're like crows, kind of, in that they're everywhere and kind of annoying. One often sits outside my window on a branchy tree.

INTERESTING FACT: Magpies are the only non-mammal (tested so far) that can recognize their own reflection in a mirror.

You're welcome for the bird information.

3 comments:

Nicole Kristine said...

I found that very interesting. I clicked on the link because I was curious about HOW they knew that magpies recognized themselves in the mirror. Very clever, those scientists. Very clever.

Also, the narrator's voice was quite mediocre which encourages me all the more to sell my voice online to do voiceovers for things.

Lynn said...

There are magpies in Reardan. My dog really disliked them and barked at them all the time. When he got old, my dad wanted to shoot a magpie for him to have.

saraike3 said...

Question: Will I learn more about Scandinavia from KJW's blog, Rick Steeves, or my teaching experience?

I guess we'll find out.