While I do miss cheddar cheese, quality alternatives exist. I'm particularly fond of Jarlsberg. It's Swissy.No matter what the cheese, though, one always cuts it with a cheese slicer. Every time. Every Scandinavian home I've been to has at least one cheese slicer, and it (or they, when it comes to multiple slicers) get(s) plenty of use.
As one of my roommates was cutting a slice the other day, I said, "In the past week, I have used a cheese slicer more than in my entire life in the U.S." The roommate looked confused.
"Do you not cut cheese at home?"
"I do, but I use a knife. Cheese slicers aren't all that common," I explained.
"What!?! A knife?!?" He laughed for at least six seconds.
I had the same conversation with one of my classes on Friday. They were similarly flabbergasted. Two of their jaws actually dropped.
And how many non-native English speakers know the idiom "cut the cheese"? Because that's clearly the next natural step in the cheese slicer conversation.
2 comments:
Cheese slicers are the best!
h-What?! That's so funny! Yeah, Cheese slicers, I didn't even see one of those in action until this year when (I'm being completely serious) I watched a video of a Danish guy making a grilled cheese sandwich--with Jarlsburg cheese, in fact. That's hilarious, crazy Norwegians, with their superfluous kitchen utensils.
Post a Comment